- Partner's strength in targeted geographic area
- Product line synchronization with overall strategy of company
- Credit rating and size of company
- Partner strengths complimenting other companies strengths and plugging weaknesses
- Brand value of partner
- Presence in targeted product range
- Corporate governance
Talking about the different steps in forming an alliance, the major steps will be 1. Strategy Design 2. Partner Assessment 3. Negotiation of contract 4. Alliance operation and nurturing and 5. Alliance Termination. More than forging alliances, my area of interest is point 4. i.e. Nurturing and Operating alliances and would like to talk more on this point in my next article.